Technical Programme Manager
This is role is full-time, permanent position located in our Nottingham office with an annual salary up £80,000 DOE including 10% variable bonus and benefits. We are currently running a virtual office for the foreseeable future. Our recruitment drive is continuing with new hires joining us using our remote working capabilities, with all interviews being conducted via Microsoft TEAMS. We ask candidates have access to a webcam for them to be able to attend interviews.
ElectraLink delivers network services, governance services, and energy market insights to the UK energy industry. The organisation is at the centre of a complex market with a range of stakeholders including Ofgem, BEIS, energy suppliers, energy distribution companies and energy service organisations.
This Technical Programme Manager role will provide the successful delivery of projects, both internal to the organisation and to clients as required. The Programme Manager will have an excellent knowledge of project delivery covering both technology and business-based projects, with an emphasis on complex technology projects working with third party developers.
The Programme Manager will be responsible and accountable for the successful coordination and implementation of strategic projects ensuring they are delivered within agreed timescales, to a high standard of quality, and within pre-defined cost parameters.
The Programme Manager will be responsible for the co-ordination of Project Proposals in the initial engagement stage(s) of projects, and for managing these projects in line with approved & agreed control parameters.
The Programme Manager is responsible for detailed planning of projects and actively managing these projects in the detail. They will manage & control the various key elements of managing & delivering successful project deliveries including costs management, risk management, quality assurance, stakeholder communications, status reporting, acceptance testing and governance.
This includes ensuring that Stakeholders, support areas and other interested parties are effectively engaged and that key deliverables & implementation activities are fully reviewed & signed off to proceed at relevant stages of projects.
The Programme Manager will build & maintain effective working relationships within the ElectraLink business and with external parties as required, ensuring collaborative working across teams/areas. He/she will administer and organise all types of projects, from simple activities to more complex plans.
This role will make an important contribution to the successful delivery of key strategic projects and programme within ElectraLink, which in turn will maintain & expand the position of ElectraLink within the utilities industry.
Main purpose of job
Responsible for managing, prioritising and implementing projects
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and successfully deliver Proposals, Projects and Programmes of projects ensuring requirements are met and delivered on time, within cost and to high quality.
- Where required, assist in pre-sales support process, consulting with prospects and existing clients to ensure that requirements are specified.
- Identify, set up and manage project organisational structures and define responsibilities.
- Identify and manage appropriate resources to undertake all required project activities.
- Define detailed estimates of time, costs and resource requirements, and ensure effective tracking of time (progress v plan) and costs (actuals v budget) are maintained and reported on.
- Identify, manage and report on any dependencies, milestones, critical path, and potential risks and issues, ensuring mitigation strategies and contingency plans exist and are acted upon.
- Create, maintain and deliver high quality project documentation as defined in ElectraLink’s Project Management Framework
- Ensure full governance and compliance to project standards, policies, processes and tools in the delivery of all projects.
- Ensure effective communication with staff and stakeholders (including 3rd parties and suppliers) ensuring this is delivered in a timely and clear fashion, with expectations clearly set and met.
- Effectively manage and document issues/escalations raised, ensuring these are dealt with in a timely manner and to a successful conclusion.
- Build strong productive working relationships, and provide effective, diplomatic communication at all levels.
- Promote & champion the benefits of Project Management within ElectraLink
- Proactively participate in furthering your own professional development, maintaining growth in professional skills and knowledge deemed essential to the role.
- Motivate, encourage & advise other project team members in the delivery of the service as appropriate, acting in the capacity of their direct line management if required
- Undertake other duties as requested by the Head of Plan & Develop Section within ElectraLink
Principle Skills & Experience
We are looking for a very experienced (10 year +) technical programme manager used to leading technology led transformations (especially technical cloud transformations and AWS).
This is a hands on role, requiring the successful candidate to get involved in the detail of the technical solution and assist in issue resolution, whilst also, being responsible for ensuring development partners deliver to plan, to be aware of the strategic importance of projects and to constantly protect ElectraLink’s commercial position.
- Demonstrable technical project management skills & relevant experience
- Proven track record of project engineering & delivery of technology-led transformations
- Well versed with technical solution development using Agile and Waterfall methods.
- Managing budgets and tight cost control
- Highly organised and able to manage, prioritize and complete multiple tasks
- Track record in ensuring projects are delivered to a deadline
- Outstanding collaboration skills and a strong team player
- Strong written & oral communication
- Strong experience of Project Management processes and frameworks
- Track record of various Programme and Projects Management Frameworks, including Prince II and Agile centric.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential
- Identifying, documenting & managing key dependencies within the scope of projects under the job holder’s control
- Ability to read communication styles of team members & stakeholders who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines
Highly desirable skills:
- Strong experience in business process transformation
- Strong experience of agile development with third party development teams
- Experience in business case and strategy development
- Experience of PPM tools
- Experience in the Energy Utilities Market
- Self-motivated, willing to roll-sleeves up
- Ability to work across multiple teams
- Focus on quality analysis and delivery
- Focus on “what good looks like” and continuously seeking improvement
- Good inter-personal skills
- Good written and oral communication skills