Market Systems Analyst
ElectraLink delivers network services, governance services, and energy market insights to the UK energy industry. The organisation is at the centre of a complex market with a range of stakeholders including Ofgem, BEIS, energy suppliers, energy distribution companies and energy service organisations. The current Data Transfer Service delivery model is contracted until 2020. ElectraLink is therefore procuring the next iteration of the UK Energy Market Data Hub which will form the basis of our technical services for the next 5 to 10 years. This role is initially in support of that activity but will expand to cover ElectraLink’s other technical services.
The successful applicant will initially assist in the defining the architectural requirements of the UK Energy Market Hub and providing technical assessment and assurance of the designs proposed by the bidders. Other duties will develop over time to cover other technical services provided by ElectraLink, including data analysis services, and both intranet and extranet solutions. Must be able to demonstrate a hands-on approach to defining and documenting functional and non-functional requirements as well as defining high level and low level technical architectures for network and application services, in a modern, virtual environment using cloud hosting services, open source products and bespoke developments.
The Market System Analyst will be expected to work and liaise with a number of other resources in support of this procurement, including the Programme Manager, supporting staff from elsewhere in ElectraLink and senior managers. Additional, external support will be procured on a contract basis, including security, commercial and legal support where required.
This is a Temporary to Permanent role with responsibility for the technical architecture of critical industry services that support the efficient working of the UK energy and gas markets. Significant industry change is expected over the next 5 years which will result in a dynamic environment of change for ElectraLink’s services.
The initial focus of the role will be to produce high level functional and non-functional requirements for the UK energy Market Data Hub procurement, taking into account the existing service and how to migrate to the new architecture. Assess and challenge proposed technical architectures from bidders into the programme.
- Document high level architectural requirements
- Review bidders’ technical proposals
- Answer technical queries during the procurement
Other key areas will be to manage changes to the architecture of our existing systems, including our data analysis platforms in AWS, to ensure they remain performant and cost efficient. Options also exist for migrating our big data platform from Vertica to an open source database solution.
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable track record of architecting modern, secure, national network/IT services in a cloud environment using open source technologies
- Hands-on experience of up to date solutions and tools in public cloud environments, particularly AWS and Azure
- Designing workable and cost-effective migration strategies from one architecture to another in a live operating environment
- Defining functional and non-functional requirements specifications
- Technical assessment of technical solutions and migration strategies of potential bidders
- Working knowledge of modern security techniques and solutions (although specialist security support may be procured separately recognising it is a highly specialised and rapidly changing area)
- Track record of maintaining coherent technical designs across multiple internal and external service providers and implementations
- Answering technical queries from potential service providers
- Ability to explain technical designs, issues and recommendations to non-technical stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well organised, structured approach to work
- Ability to quickly assimilate and understand technical details and new technologies
Highly desirable skills:
- Knowledge and understanding of restful architectures
- Expertise in Red Hat JBoss Fuse
- Expertise in Weblogic
- Working knowledge of migrating from Oracle to open source alternatives
- Working knowledge of exiting electricity and gas market systems which interface to central market functions
- Knowledge of current best practice in data analysis and data management techniques and tools
- Good understanding of operational requirements and cost considerations in technical architecture
- Up to date technical architecture knowledge
- Comfortable in presenting at internal meetings with senior managers and external meetings with senior technical architects
- Good written and oral communication skills.